- Hongkong is famous as Asia’s financial and tourism paradise.
- The Chinese interference in Hongkong’s economy and polity has drastically increased in recent years.
The Imperial Era :
- Hongkong came under Chinese rule for the first time in 3rd century BC when China was ruled by Qin dynasty. For next 2,000 years Hongkong was under Chinese rule. It became an important port for Chinese Empire.
- In 18th century, China was a major producer of Tea, Silk and Porcelain. Britain had huge demand for these products but in China-Britain trade, Britain was facing huge trade deficit as China wanted nothing from them.
- Britishers then used another way, which was “drugs” – opium. In China, the use of drugs was banned but through Hongkong port, British started smuggling of opium into China.
- The opium storehouse were seized and destroyed by the Chinese rulers. In 1939, China declared war against Britain but they suffered a defeat. This was was known as 1st Opium War. Treaty of Nanking was signed according to which Hongkong island was given to Britishers.
- In 1856 AD, Second Opium War took place between Chinese empire and the British.But again Britain won. Then Imperial rule was started in Hongkong. Crime rate increased there and locals started protesting against Britishers.
- In 1898, Third Opium War was fought which also ended with China’s defeat. Under Second Convention of Peking, Hongkong was leased to British for 99 years period.
- Of late, British realised that for them to stay in power , local support is necessary. They started social and economic reforms. By the starting of 20th century, massive changes were taking place in China and the World. People’s Republic of China overthrew the Imperial Dynasty in China. The World Wars and the Great Depression had a huge negative impact on Hongkong’s economy and trade networks.
Britain’s last decade in Hongkong:
- Communist Party of China took over the country in 1949. Poor policies of Mao Zedong exploited Chinese citizens. Many wealthy Chinese citizens reached to Hongkong with their wealth and skills.
- Mao Zedong’s cultural revolution targeted capitalists and traditional forces in mainly China British Government started more reforms to spread capitalism and Western Democracy in China. Hongkong became infamous with the name of “Jewel of the East”.
- In 1980s, the expiry of Lease agreement of 1898 coming, China break the silence and demanded reunification of China and Hongkong. In 1984, British PM Margrat Thatcher and China’s Zhou Ziyang signed an agreement according to which Hongkong would remain part of China for next 50 years but Hongkong will independently operate their social and economic systems. The system was known as “One Country, Two Systems ” Hongkong was given high degree of autonomy. On 1st July 1997, British rule ended.
If you want to know how China’s Political System works or Chinese Communist Party, click here.
Politics , Protests & Pandemic :
- According to the signed agreement, “One Country, Two Systems” rule is to be continued in Hongkong upto 2047. But In the last few years, China has started unprecedented crackdown on Hongkong.
- In 2012, China tried to change the school books and curriculum of Hongkong in pro-Chinese.
- In 2019, pro-Chinese Chief Executive – Carrie Lam introduced amendments in Extradition Law of Hongkong according to which Hongkong’s potential criminal can be sent to China for trial. Protests took place against this bill but they were crushed. The bill was withdrawn .
- In last 25 years, China has tried any ways to stifle the freedom of Hongkong in all possible manner. China wants to remove all the Western influence on Hongkong.
22 thoughts on “Is Hongkong part of China? Entire timeline of Hongkong history”
We stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page again.
It抯 actually a great and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Great article. It is very unfortunate that over the last years, the travel industry has already been able to to deal with terrorism, SARS, tsunamis, flu virus, swine flu, as well as first ever entire global economic depression. Through it all the industry has really proven to be effective, resilient as well as dynamic, discovering new approaches to deal with trouble. There are usually fresh issues and opportunity to which the field must all over again adapt and answer.
I抦 not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. All the best
The things i have observed in terms of laptop or computer memory is always that there are specific features such as SDRAM, DDR and so on, that must fit in with the specific features of the motherboard. If the computer’s motherboard is kind of current while there are no computer OS issues, changing the storage space literally requires under sixty minutes. It’s on the list of easiest computer system upgrade processes one can envision. Thanks for giving your ideas.
F*ckin?tremendous things here. I抦 very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?
Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I抣l be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any means you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!
Greetings from California! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, amazing blog!
Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your website in internet explorer, would check this?IE still is the market leader and a large portion of people will miss your excellent writing due to this problem.
Hello there, I found your site via Google while looking for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
You made some nice points there. I looked on the internet for the subject and found most persons will consent with your blog.
I do not even know the way I ended up right here, however I assumed this post was once good. I do not know who you might be but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger when you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!
Top site ,.. i will save for later !
Hm,.. amazing post ,.. just keep the good work on!
Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your site came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
I抳e learn some good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you place to make one of these great informative web site.
Simply desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness to your post is simply nice and that i could think you’re an expert in this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to snatch your feed to stay updated with coming near near post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please continue the rewarding work.
F*ckin?awesome things here. I am very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?
Appreciating the time and energy you put into your site and detailed information you offer. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed information. Excellent read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.
Hey, honestly your site is coming along :-), but I had a question – it’s a bit slow. Have you thought about using a different host like propel? It’d help your visitors stick around longer = more profit long term anyway. There’s a decent review on it by this guy who uses gtmetrix to test different hosting providers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6s0ciJI4W4 and the whole video has a bunch of gold in it, worth checking out.
Hello.This post was extremely fascinating, especially because I was investigating for thoughts on this matter last couple of days.